I guess I might as well start this blog out with a BANG and hit on a very sensitive, controversial issue...
All political ideology aside, I would have to first identify myself as a Christian. A Christian that does not believe in abortion. I've spent several years working in an environment where I am constantly working with parents who fight fiercely to see their prematurely born baby survive. I've seen babies that are born up to 4 months early survive and bring great joy to their parents. I've also seen families grieve and suffer great pain as they experience the loss of their child. I'll stop my rant there by simply reiterating that I do not agree with abortion. I do understand cases of medical necessity for abortion, and to me, that is a completely different story.
It is for these reasons that I was happy to learn about a new bill that was recently filed in both the House and the Senate that targets insurance coverage for abortion. If this bill passes, insurance companies would not be allowed to cover the cost of abortions, unless they are medically necessary (as deemed by a physician.) This article explains the ins-and-outs of this bill in better detail. Pay special attention to the part explaining supplemental insurance. I cannot wrap my head around the train of thought leading a person to preemptively acquire insurance to cover an abortion that they foresee in their future.
I'm sure many will cry out that the passage of this bill would be an infringement on our rights. I'm generally not for BIG government, but if I have to choose between being limited by government and condoning abortion, I choose government.
No comments:
Post a Comment