I feel the need to explain myself. Although, I'm willing to bet that some people might already catch my reference to a well know misquote.
As I started to think about blogging, a few thoughts crossed my mind. My first thought was, who in the world cares to read what I have to say?? My second thought was, more importantly, what do I have to say about Texas politics? NOTHING! I've really never taken the time to form opinions, mainly because I find the political world too complex and thus time consuming to begin to understand and rationalize. You see, I'm the type of person that doesn't like to form an opinion unless I know I can back it up with logic. In other words, I don't like to feel stupid. As I began to ponder what to title my blog, I was reminded of the first time that I can recall feeling really stupid... 1995...
I was 10 years old riding in the backseat of my dad's car with my much cooler older, older sister in the front seat. Dad had just bought Alanis Morissette's new CD, Jagged Little Pill (which begs the question: WHY, Dad??!), and I was sitting in the backseat listening and singing along. As I listened to Alanis sing about her anger towards her ex-lover, I realized that her lover's actions made no sense at all, so I piped up and asked, "Why did he give her a cross-eyed bear??" My question was followed by about a minute of uninterrupted laughter by my dad and sister before they explained that the lyric was actually "cross I bear." I felt dumb, really, really dumb, and that story went down in history as another "kathleen story" to which my family so often refers.
As I recalled this embarrassing moment, it dawned on me that this was the perfect title for my blog. It's a reference to the way I feel about my knowledge regarding politics: like a dim-wit. I also happen to be a former Baylor Bear, and isn't it ironic... don't ya think? Ok, I promise that's my last Alanis reference. So here I go, embarking on my own enlightenment regarding Texas politics...
No comments:
Post a Comment